UWC NYC Past Events
- Sat, Oct 21African Services Committee - Event SpaceOct 21, 2023, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDTAfrican Services Committee - Event Space, 423 West 127th, 4th floor, New York, NY
- Sat, Oct 14Broadstone Bar & KitchenOct 14, 2023, 6:00 PMBroadstone Bar & Kitchen, 88 Broad St, New York, NY 10004, USA
- Sat, Oct 07Urban Farm @ HELP USAOct 07, 2023, 10:30 AM – 1:00 PMUrban Farm @ HELP USA, 111 Sunken Garden Loop, New York, NY 10035, USA
- Sun, Sep 17Kimmel Center for University LifeSep 17, 2023, 3:30 PM – 6:00 PM EDTKimmel Center for University Life, 60 Washington Square S, New York, NY 10012, USASep 17, 2023, 3:30 PM – 6:00 PM EDTKimmel Center for University Life, 60 Washington Square S, New York, NY 10012, USAJoin us for UWC Day 2023 to shape the future of UWC New York and to learn the story behind a remarkable Venezuelan art book 10 years in the making Registration CLOSES Saturday Sep 16th @ Midnight
- Sat, Sep 09Bryant ParkSep 09, 2023, 5:00 PMBryant Park
- Sun, Aug 27Mount Beacon TrailheadAug 27, 2023, 9:30 AMMount Beacon Trailhead, Mount Beacon Trailhead, Beacon, NY 12508, USA
- Sat, Aug 12QueensAug 12, 2023, 11:10 AM – 5:00 PMQueens, Rockaway Beach, Queens, NY, USAAug 12, 2023, 11:10 AM – 5:00 PMQueens, Rockaway Beach, Queens, NY, USAFor the 7th year in a row, join us on August 12 for a beach day at Rockaway Beach! We'll meet at the Queen Elizabeth II Garden in the Financial District at 11:10am and take the ferry over together. There will be optional surfing lessons!
- Sat, Jul 08Peninsula in the Prospect Park LakeJul 08, 2023, 4:00 PMPeninsula in the Prospect Park LakeJul 08, 2023, 4:00 PMPeninsula in the Prospect Park LakeJoin us for our monthly SSS in Prospect Park. Bring picnic blankets, snacks, and games. The fun will start early at 4 p.m. and go into the evening. Plus ones, kids, and pets are welcomed. We'll be at the Peninsula in the Prospect Park Lake (coordinates: 40.656379, -73.968646).
- Sat, Jun 10Central Park Ramble (40.777241, -73.967411)Jun 10, 2023, 4:00 PMCentral Park Ramble (40.777241, -73.967411)Jun 10, 2023, 4:00 PMCentral Park Ramble (40.777241, -73.967411)Join us for our monthly SSS, this time outdoors in Central Park! The fun will start early at 4 p.m. and go into the evening 🙂 Meet us in Central Park at a little clearing in the Ramble near the Ramble Shed (coordinates: 40.777241, -73.967411).
- Sat, May 20Urban Farm @ HELP USAMay 20, 2023, 10:00 AM – May 21, 2023, 1:00 PMUrban Farm @ HELP USA, 111 Sunken Garden Loop, New York, NY 10035, USA
- Fri, May 05Broadstone Bar and Kitchen (2nd Floor)May 05, 2023, 8:15 PMBroadstone Bar and Kitchen (2nd Floor), 88 Broad St, New York, NY 10004, USA
- Fri, May 05Mcnally Jackson BooksMay 05, 2023, 7:00 PM – May 06, 2023, 8:00 PMMcnally Jackson Books, 4 Fulton St, New York, NY 10038, USA
- Thu, May 04International HouseMay 04, 2023, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PMInternational House, 500 Riverside Dr, New York, NY 10027, USA
- Sat, Apr 08Broadstone Bar & KitchenApr 08, 2023, 6:00 PMBroadstone Bar & Kitchen, 88 Broad St, New York, NY 10004, USA
2018 World Cup Watch Party
July 15, 2018
Jersey City, NJ
It was a thrilling FIFA World Cup and what better way to end it than watching the finale with a friendly, enthusiastic crowd from all over the world, and a catered Mozambican lunch!
March For Our Lives
March 24, 2018
Central Park West, New York, NY
UWC NYC joined thousands of protesters demanding action on gun violence in the US after yet another mass shooting. As UWC alumni we believe in peace and a sustainable future, and that action begins wherever we are.
Lunar New Year Dumpling Making Party
February 24, 2018
Midtown, New York, NY
Celebrate the New Year by learning to make traditional soup dumplings! All supplies provided Pork and Vegetarian dumplings will be available.
International Friendsgiving Potluck
November 19, 2017
Upper West Side, New York, NY
In the spirit of this year's UWC theme, the Power of Diversity, UWC NYC hopes to celebrate Thanksgiving through a 'diverse" tasting of food from the 5 different continents. Come join us at our International Friendsgiving Potluck!
Mustard Chicken - Columbia
Okonomiyaki + Miso Soup - Japan
Tortilla de Patatas - Spain
Farmer’s cheese dumplings - Slovenia
Fried Rice Cakes - China
Cantonese BBQ pork - Hong Kong
Thanksgiving Turkey - USA
Vegetarian Mac n Cheese
UWC Day 2017 - The Power of Diversity
September 16, 2017
NYU, 31 Washington Place, New York, NY 10003
Panel Discussion on Diversity
Small Group Discussions
Maya Alkateb-Chami is the Director of Jusoor, an international nonprofit organization working to help Syria through education. Winner of the Academic Freedom Award, Jusoor focuses on higher education, remedial education for children, and entrepreneurship training. Previously, Maya ran Al Makan Art Association, a cultural nonprofit in Syria, co-founded and led the United World Colleges' (UWC) scholarship program for Syrian adolescents, and directed admissions at UWC-USA international boarding school.
Analisa Leonor Balares is the CEO & Chief Innovation Officer of Womensphere which she founded in 2007, and Chair & CEO of the Womensphere Foundation. She leads the Womensphere Innovation Lab and New Champions Womensphere Incubator Network. Since 2008, she has been the curator and convenor of the Womensphere Summits, Womensphere Festival, and Womensphere Emerging Leaders Summits.
Cheryl Pahaham works in the New York State Comptroller's Office, where she has performed as a fiscal monitor and an audit planner. Cheryl is also active in local electoral politics in Northern Manhattan, where she served on the local community board, ran for a New York City Council seat, and assisted candidates in other election campaigns. Cheryl earned a doctorate in sociology from the New School, which is where she met her husband (and UWC alum) Robin Le Baron.
Tamara Morgan works as the Community Partnership Coordinator at the Adaptive Design Association. She previously worked as creative art therapist with at risk teens. She is a graduate of NYU’s Steinhardt School for Art Therapy. Diagnosed at birth with osteogenesis imperfecta, a condition that makes her bones abnormally fragile, Tamara is an avid advocate of diversity, adaptations and the psychosocial well-being of all people.
Carolyn Feenaghty works as a Special Education teacher for the NYC DOE for children with severe to multiple disabilities and provides education services for children with visual impairments and blindness. Carolyn is a volunteer at the Adaptive Design Association, Inc. a local non-for-profit that provides custom adaptations, educational, pre-vocation services for individuals with disabilities. She facilitates portions of custom adaptation building with her students in her classroom throughout the school year.
UWC NYC Speaker Series: "How to Have a Good Day" with Caroline Webb (CEO of Sevenshift and UWC Atlantic College alum)
April 2, 2016
NYU Silver 206 (2nd fl), 31 Washington Place, New York, NY 10003
UWC NYC hosted a speaker event “How to Have a Good Day” with CEO of Sevenshift and UWC Atlantic College alum Caroline Webb.
"How to Have a Good Day"
Whether we have a good day or not depends partly on things we can’t control – perhaps there’s a crisis at work or our colleagues are cranky today. But behavioral science shows us that many things that seem “fixed” or “random” can be surprisingly strongly influenced by our own actions, once we understand just a little of how the brain works. Caroline will demonstrate how tiny tweaks to our daily routines can transform our experience of what happens around us, the number of hours in the day, our level of intelligence, and even other people’s moods. With this kind of powerful insight in our back pocket, we can change our “luck” and put many more good days within reach.
Holiday Dinner Party 2015
December 12, 2015
UWC Day UWC NYC celebrated the holiday season with our third annual Holiday Party with dinner catered from Los Tacos, Dos Caminos and Financier Patisserie! A big thank you to Pearson College UWC alum Beatrice Sibblies for hosting us again!
UWC Day 2015
September 19, 2015
Eisner & Lubin Auditorium, NYU Kimmel Center
UWC Day in NYC 2015 was a flagship event for the third annual UWC Day hosted by UWC NYC, in collaboration with UWC International. Over 200 UWC alumni, friends and staff came together to celebrate the values and impact of the UWC movement. The day featured distinguished alumni panelists and special guest speakers from UWC International and the colleges.
Beach Party 2015
September 7, 2015
Our first "UWC New York Goes to the Beach" in 2014 was a huge success so we had round two! This event was graciously hosted again by Atlantic College Alum Beata Jostmeier, who we can't thank enough!
Wine Tasting Class
April 12, 2015
NYC Wine Company, 167 West 23rd Street, New York, NY 10011
UWC alumni enjoyed UWC NYC's first wine tasting event at NYC Wine Company, which has 4.5 stars on Yelp and is named a 'Critics Pick' in New York Magazine. This wine 101 class consisted of a selection of nine wines for tasting, along with light accoutrements (artisanal cheeses, olives, charcuteries and bread). Founder and instructor Andrew Harwood discussed the chosen wines; what makes each unique, how one can find great wine values and much more.
Project Week 2015 with USA-USA
March 7-15, 2015
Various, New York
For the first time ever, UWC NYC hosted 12 first-year students from UWC-USA for Project Week 2015. The students came to New York, stayed with alumni and volunteered with 3 great local charities that partnered with us in this effort (thanks to USA-USA alum Irfan Hasan and UWC Adriatic alum Robin LeBaron for helping us line these up!)
Morris-Jumel Mansion where George Washington once slept
Adaptive Design Asssociation which designs custom furniture for children’s with disabilities -
God's Love we Deliver which prepares meals for people too sick to do so themselves
A Project Week Kick-off Reception with the UWC NYC alumni community to welcome the 12 visiting UWC-USA students was held at Pearson College alum Meera Gandhi’s residence.
Brooklyn BBQ at Philip's
July 25, 2015
Summer fun and BBQ season! Thank you to Philip Nikolov for hosting us at his house!
Holiday Dinner Party 2014
December 13, 2014
UWC NYC held our second annual UWC New York Holiday Dinner Party with dinner catered from Dinosaur BBQ! We are extremely thankful to Pearson College UWC alum Beatrice Sibblies for her generosity in hosting this event at her home in Harlem.
New York Cares Day 2014
October 18, 2014
Marble Hill School for International Studies, Bronx, NY
The UWC NYC team participated in community service on NY Cares Day, helping out Marble Hill School for International Studies to paint classrooms. and give as part of. NY Cares day is New York's City's largest hands-on volunteer day on which more than 4,000 volunteers join together to create a brighter future for our city's public school students, kicking off the start of the school year and NewYork Cares year-round education projects.
UWC Day 2014
September 14, 2014
Colloquium Room at NYU Global Center for Academic and Spiritual Life
UWC NYC's second annual UWC Day had a great turnout (110 participants!), lively discussion, happy mingling and plenty of UWC spirit! The main panel featured a diverse and talented group of UWC alumni including a fashion designer, Oscar-nominated film director, global leader in women empowerment and research scientist in climate and society. A special thanks to our panelist speakers: Analisa Balares (UWC Pearson '94), Diarra Bousso (UWC Red Cross Nordic '07), Daniel Osgood (UWC Adriatic '87) and Rick Rowley (UWC-USA '94). We are truly honored to have such an impressive and inspiring group of individuals join us and share their stories and thoughts with us on UWC and having an impact. An extra thanks to Rick Rowley for sharing his film "Dirty Wars" with us!
UWC New York Goes To The Beach
July 26, 2014
A unique UWC getaway at a Rockaway Beach House, hosted by Atlantic College alum Beata Jostmeier, who we can't thank enough! Complete with hot tub, grilled food, drinks and the usual one-of-a-kind UWC mixing and mingling!
Picnic in Central Park
June 29, 2014
Sheep's Meadow, Central Park
What better way to enjoy summer in NYC with a picnic in Central Park with old and new UWC friends!
Community Service with Hope Community
April 26, 2014
East Harlem, NY
UWC NYC organized our first community service project with Hope Community, volunteering to do spring cleaning and planting a community garden. Hope Community is a community-based not-for-profit affordable housing organization that aims to enrich the lives of the people who live and work in East Harlem and surrounding neighborhoods through cultural arts, economic development and social service alliances.
Reception with Pearson College and UWC-USA
April 16, 2014
UWC NYC was honored to be able to arrange a dinner reception for UWC alumni in the area to meet Pearson College’s Head of School, David Hawley, along with Pearson College alumnus, Benoît Charlebois, and VP of Advancement for UWC-USA, Christie Baskett who were visiting New York. Pearson College UWC alum Beatrice Sibblies was kind enough to host us at her home in Harlem, thank you Beatrice!
Holiday Dinner Party 2013
December 14, 2014
Upper East Side, NY
We are delighted to start an annual tradition of the UWC NYC Holiday Party! We are extremely thankful to Atlantic College alum Priscilla Rattazzi Whittle for her generosity in hosting this event at her residence on the Upper East Side.
UWC Day 2013
September 21, 2013
NYU, 19 Washington Square North
The first UWC Day in NYC brought alumni together to celebrate UWC and to live the UWC mission in a fun and engaging way. The program included a main panel titled "The UWC Experience & Your Career”, small group networking and “UWC Connect” workshops on how to better engage alumni.